Refreshing Chopped Winter Salad Bowls
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 2 mandarins
- 1 grapefruit or blood orange
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 bag spinach
- Following instructions on your container of quinoa, add water or stock to a pot with quinoa and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir, cover with lid and let simmer until done.
- Use a microplane or box grater to zest your mandarins until you get 1 tablespoon of zest. Once you have your zest, peel your mandarins and grapefruit and slice into thick rounds, then cut into quarters.
- Slice your mozzarella into thick rounds and then cut into quarters as well. Thinly slice your onion into strips.
- Chop your spinach and romaine and add to a large bowl. Top with cooked quinoa, citrus, onion, mozzarella, chickpeas and avocado. Toss ingredients to combine.
- Make your dressing by mixing together olive oil, orange juice and dijon mustard. Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Dish it up, top with pumpkin seeds, and enjoy!
Recipe by Ashley Thomas.
Ashley provides free LIVE cooking classes every Monday and Wednesday at 7:00 pm EST! If you’re looking for tips and recipes to help you better manage your blood sugar, then join Ashley in the kitchen.
Sign up to get the weekly class schedule: https://tinyurl.com/y9hcx9bh