Quinoa and Black Bean Salad with Chicken and Spinach
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- ¾ cups uncooked quinoa
- 1½ cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup diced tomatoes about 10 cherry tomatoes or 1 roma tomato
- 2 green onions sliced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 15-ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover, reduce heat to simmer until broth is absorbed and quinoa is tender; about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add dressing to quinoa and combine.*
- Add tomatoes, green onions, carrots, and black beans to quinoa mixture. Stir gently to combine. Serve warm, or store covered in refrigerator until chilled.
*The quinoa and dressing combination can be served warm as a side to any meal, but pairs well with chicken and fish entrees. **Serve quinoa salad with fresh spinach and 3-oz grilled chicken breast for added nutrition and protein.
Recipe by Amy Halfmann.
Amy provides free LIVE cooking classes every other Monday at 12 pm EST! Her classes focus on how to cook meals that help you manage Gestational Diabetes.
Sign up to get her weekly class schedule: https://tinyurl.com/y9hcx9bh