Portobello Mushroom Burgers
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 4 portobellos mushrooms stems removed, discarded and cleaned
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 clove garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- avocado or other garnish of your choice: grilled red onion, raw white onion, tomato, lettuce, bell pepper, cheese, sprouts, micro greens etc.
- 4 100% whole wheat burger buns
Salad & Dressing
- 2-15 ounce black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 3 corn cob you can also use canned or frozen; at least 2 cups
- 1 pint cherry tomato rinsed and cut in half
- 1 handful cilantro rinsed and chopped
- 1-2 lime juiced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro rinsed and chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- feta cheese or Goat cheese, to taste
- honey or 100% maple syrup if needed
Salad & Dressing
- Put portobellos, cap side up, in a large shallow dish.
- Whisk together vinegar, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil and seasonings.
- Pour mixture over the caps, flip and coat the other side. Let marinate at room temperature for at least 15 minutes if not longer.
- Meanwhile, turn grill down to approximately 300 degrees. You can use a grill pan or just lay your caps right on the grill, either way will work well.
- When ready, lay your mushrooms stem side down. Brush caps with leftover marinade in your dish. Cook approximately 5-8 minutes depending on size and thickness.
- Flip caps and brush with marinade. Cook approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Serve warm on a toasted 100% whole wheat bun and garnish with black bean, corn and tomato salad.
- Heat grill to 350-375 degrees. Lay corn on the grill. While corn is cooking rinse black beans and add them to the bowl. Next, rinse and cut cherry tomatoes in half and add to the bowl. Lastly, chop cilantro and add it to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, olive oil, garlic powder and chili powder with salt and pepper to taste. Taste dressing and adjust if needed. If too tart or acidic add a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Pour over salad.
- While you are putting the dressing together make sure you are turning the corn on the grill, making sure that each side is cooked.
- Once corn is cooked, allow it to cool. Cut corn off the cob and add it to the bowl.
- Add cheese (if desired), mix ingredients thoroughly.
Recipe by Kathleen Oswalt.