Lower sodium, no sugar added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion small diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can No Salt Added crushed tomatoes 28 ounces
- 1 can No Salt Added tomato sauce 14 ounces
- 1 can No Salt Added tomato paste 6 ounces
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt-free Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Portion sauce out in 1-2 cups servings. Sauce should keep in the fridge for 4-5 days, or in the freezer for 3 months.
This is a very versatile sauce. You can add in any fresh herbs you want to use up—like basil! Or you could mix in other vegetables like carrots or mushrooms, just dice them up small and saute them with the onion!
Recipe by Lindsey McCoy.
Lindsey provides free LIVE cooking classes every Tuesday and Thursday at 12:30 pm EST! Her classes focus on nutrition for diabetes and each week she shows you how to make super quick lunches for one that will help you manage your blood sugar.
Sign up to get her weekly class schedule: https://tinyurl.com/ycc8hwvr