Lemon and Pea Pasta with Ricotta
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1 pound penne or any small shaped pasta like rigatoni or ziti
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 15 ounces ricotta
- 1 lemon juiced and zested
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- ½ cup grated parmasean
- Crushed red pepper optional topping
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to al dente directions on box, approx 8-10 minutes. Drain and return to pot and toss with a drizzle of olive oil. This will keep the pasta from sticking together
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Carefully toast pine nuts, watching closely to prevent burning. Set aside when toasted.
- Defrost peas using a few tablespoons of water in a microwave safe dish and warm in 15 second intervals until no longer frozen. Zest lemon and then juice it.
- In a blender or food processor, make ricotta sauce. Add garlic, parsley, oregano and thyme. Then add in 1 ½ cup peas, ricotta, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Pulse until it is mostly smooth with some texture.
- Toss pasta in ricotta pea mixture. Add in remaining whole peas. Sprinkle on toasted pine nuts, parmasean and crushed red pepper flakes.