Kale Caesar Salad
This plant-based version of Caesar Salad uses a nutritious combination of walnuts, dijon mustard, and lemon juice to replace the anchovies and mayo in traditional caesar dressing. You won't believe how much this tastes like the real thing!
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 lemons 3 for dressing, one for kale
- 1.5 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 bunch kale
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup radish thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a blender add dressing ingredients and blend until it reaches a thick consistency - much like what Caesar dressing looks like.
- De-stem kale by holding the bottom of the stem with one hand, and use the other hand to strip the kale off the its stem by sliding your hand from bottom to top. Chop or tear leaves into bite-sized peices.
- Place kale leaves into a mixing bowl with juice from 1 lemon and salt. Use hands to massage kale so that the lemon and salt start to break down the fiber in the kale, about 2-3 minutes.
- Toss kale with caesar dressing to evenly coat. Divvy up into bowls and top with chickpeas, radish, and nutritional yeast (vegan) or parmesan cheese.
*For extra crunch, toss your chickpeas with olive oi, salt and pepper and roast at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Let cool to crisp up.