Eggplant & Shishito Pepper Green Curry with Crusty Bread
While this curry uses eggplant and shishito peppers, you can use any veggies you have on hand. The curry base is a simple mix of coconut milk, store-bought green curry paste, and a touch of veggie base. This is one of our favorite go-to dinners that is both delicious and nutritious.
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil olive, canola, avocado, or coconut works too
- 2 packs extra firm tofu
- 20 shishito peppers whole, tops trimmed off
- 6 cups eggplant chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 small jalapeno minced
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 2.5 tablespoons green curry paste we used Thai Kitchen brand
- 1 teaspoon vegetable base or 1-2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cilantro for garnish
- 1 loaf sourdough or any crusty bakery bread
- Prepare all veggies: chop tofu and eggplant into bite-size pieces. Mince garlic, ginger, and jalapeno. Trim tops off shishito peppers but leave them whole.
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a wok and saute tofu over medium heat until sides are browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- While tofu cooks, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in another pan and saute shishito peppers over medium-high heat until they "blister" on each side. Remove from pan and set aside when blistered and soft.
- Add last 1/2 tablespoon oil back into wok and saute the garlic, ginger, and jalapeno for about 1 minute until fragrant and soft. Add all the eggplant and saute for a few minutes. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Add coconut milk, curry paste, and veggie base to the eggplant and bring to a simmer. Let simmer for at least 10 minutes to fully cook the eggplant.
- Slice bread and toast in pan on stove over medium heat until brown and toatsy on each side.
- Add the tofu and peppers to the eggplant curry and cook just a minute longer to heat them back up. Taste and adjut the seasoning as you desire. Serve curry in bowls, top with fresh cilantro and serve with crusty bread.
Recipe by Kathleen Oswalt and Ashley Thomas.