Americans try to keep insane schedules between work, kids, friends, social and religious institutions and volunteer obligations. Too frequently, dinners-on-the-go lack nutritional density and leave us without the proper nourishment to finish the day strong. Stress can cause the body to release a hormone called cortisol which has been known to increase fat stores. Not only can our waistline suffer, so can our gut causing constipation and other undesirable consequences. Don’t stress about dinner when you can blend up this smoothie in no time flat. It’s packed with both pre and probiotics and is ready to pack it up and hit the road onto soccer or choir practice!
Good Gut Smoothie
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 2 cups kale or spinach (2 tightly packed cups)
- 1 frozen banana
- ¾ cup unsweetened plain greek yogurt full-fat
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1 apple cored and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 4 tablespoon oats
- 1 large knob ginger minced or grated
- 2-3 cups liquid of your choice: cow’s milk, almond, soy, cashew beverage, coconut water
- 5 ice cubes
- Wash and measure greens, core and cut apple into chunks, grate ginger and add all ingredients to a high-powered blender.
- Add more liquids or ice to achieve your desired thickness. Enjoy!
Recipe by Jennifer Schlub.